WE CHOOSE SUSTAINABILITY. WE CHOOSE TRANSPARENCY.
We're changing professional haircare for good.
BONACURE CLEAN PERFORMANCE
We empower hairdressers & consumers with advanced skincare-inspired technologies, professional vegan and clean formulas, and sustainable packaging to achieve their best hair results while contributing to a better future.
New Bonacure Clean Performance offers a sustainable portfolio that covers all of your hair needs. It‘s the perfect quick haircare regime that offers powerful performance and guarantees the best hair quality, without any compromise.
All the Bonacure Clean Performance products contain 100% vegan, professional formulas. We do not use any animal products, by-products or derivatives in our vegan formulations, and we do not test them on animals.
What is Vegan Keratin?
All new Bonacure Clean Performance products contain Schwarzkopf Professional’s first Vegan Keratin. Vegan Keratin is the vegetable alternative to the classical non-vegan hydrolysed Keratin.
Our Vegan Keratin is composed of a combination of natural & botanical derived Wheat Amino Acids and Soy Amino Acids as well as Arginine HCL and Serine, both commonly known as the building blocks of hair. As the most important part of our Vegan Care Complex, the Vegan Keratin can be found in all Bonacure Clean Performance formulas to:
- Increase the inner hair strength
- Help to fortify hair, making it stronger and more elastic
- Improve combability of hair (wet & dry combing)
- Reduce static & frizz, making hair easier to style
- Work on the inner layer of the hair, restoring the protective natural shield of healthy hair
FULL OF WHAT’S GOOD, FREE OF WHAT’S NOT.
All new Bonacure products embrace the concept of Clean Beauty. Our clean formulas are free-from sulphates, silicones, parabens, mineral oils, phthalates, microplastics and artificial colourants.
FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OUR VEGAN AND CLEAN INGREDIENTS
Fragrances are a combination of individual ingredients that make up a specific smell or odor. When combined the right way, you can create the beautiful and unique fragrances that you will find in our new Bonacure portfolio. On our packaging, you will find fragrances within the ingredients list on the back, defined as ‘Fragrance’ or ‘Perfume’. In addition, the following ingredients also act as fragrances: Citral, Limonene, Linalol, Hexyl Salicylate, Geraniol, Citronellol, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Salicylate, and Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone.
Vitamins are substances that our bodies need to develop and function. Vitamins are organic substances, which are made by plants. The two vitamins that you can find in several of the Bonacure products are Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E) and Niacinamide (Vitamin B).
In addition, you also have provitamins, which are substances that may be converted within the body to a vitamin. The term "provitamin" is used when it is desirable to label a substance with little or no vitamin activity, but which can be converted to an active form by normal metabolic processes.
The new Bonacure Clean performance products contain Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5). Panthenol acts as a hair conditioning agent (moisturiser) and a repairing ingredient.
All-natural cosmetic oils are comprised of liquid oils, waxes, butters, unsaponifiables and essential oils. We use natural oils in the Bonacure Frizz Away range. The ones you will find are Babassu Oil (Orbignya Oleifera Seed Oil) and Argan Oil (Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil). Both of these oils act as hair conditioning agents and make your hair smooth and shiny!
Amino Acids are the building blocks that form polypeptides and ultimately proteins. Consequently, they are fundamental components of our bodies and vital for physiological functions. In our haircare formulas, Amino Acids act as hair conditioning agents and are also a repairing ingredient. The Amino Acids that are present in our Bonacure formulas are Wheat Amino Acids (protein derivative), Threonine, Soy Amino Acids (protein derivative), Serine, Glycine and Arginine (HCL). Specifically, Glycine and Arginine also help to regulate scalp functions.
Humectants are materials used to promote moisture retention, by attracting water molecules from the local environment and binding them to specific sites along their structure. The humectants found in Bonacure products are Glycerin, Urea and Butylene Glycol.
Solvents are substances capable of dissolving a solute, to form a cleaning or de-greasing solution. These are the solvents you can find in the Bonacure formulas:
- Isopropyl Alcohol (dissolves other substances)
- Propylene Glycol (acts as a conditioning agent)
- Dipropylene Glycol (retains moisture and dissolves other substances)
- Alcohol Denat (evaporating agent & preservative)
- Aqua / Water / Eau
Surfactants are substances which are added to a liquid to reduce its surface tension, thereby increasing its spreading and wetting properties. These are surfactants that you can find in the Bonacure products and their specific functions:
- PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil (plant derived)
- PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate
- PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate
Mild cleansing agents:
- Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate
- Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate
- Sodium Methyl Isethionate
- Sodium Methyl 2-Sulfolaurate
- Sodium Cocoamphoacetate
- Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate
- Disodium 2-Sulfolaurate
- Caprylyl/Capryl Glucoside
- C12-18 Fatty Methyl Esters
- Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine
Water-soluble vitamins, which include all B complex vitamins and vitamin C, lead to the production of coenzymes. They are organic molecules, which bind to the active sites of certain enzymes to assist in the catalysis of a reaction. Our Time Restore formulas contain Q10, also known as Ubiquinone, a coenzyme that acts as an anti-ageing ingredient.
HAIR CONDITIONING AGENTS
These agents condition and coat the hair to keep it moisturised and soft. They act as a detangler, making them a great ingredient to help improve hair combability and manageability.
- Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine (also improves shine)
- Quaternium-91 (also has anti-static effect)
- Distearoylethyl Hydroxyethylmonium Methosulfate (also improves shine)
- Behenamidopropyl Dimethylamine
A polymer is a substance made up of a large number of smaller molecules that link together to form larger molecules. The polymers used in the new Bonacure formulas, such as Polyquaternium-11 and Polyquaternium-37, act as cationic care ingredients. They are positively charged and ionically bond to the hair. You can also find Hydroxypropyl Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, a polymer that improves your hair’s shine, combability and manageability.
Emulsifiers are ingredients that prevent all of the other ingredients from separating. Emulsifiers can be found in any product that contains oil and water. In the new Bonacure products you can find PPG-1 Trideceth-6 and Sorbitan Oleate as emulsifiers, which stabilise our formulas.
In cosmetic products, emollients are used as hair care ingredients to improve shine, combability and feeling of the hair surface. The emollients used in our new Bonacure formulas also act as spreading agents:
- Dicaprylyl Carbonate
- Dicaprylyl Ether
- Cetyl Ethylhexanoate
- Cetyl Palmitate
- Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride
- Isopropyl Myristate
- Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate
- Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter
Fatty acids are most often used in cosmetics as an emollient or an emulsifier. In the new Bonacure shampoos you can find Coconut Acid, an emollient that smooths the skin.
Viscosity agents are non-irritating compounds used as a thickening, lubricating and clinging agents. In the new Bonacure formulas you can find Glycol Distearate and Cetearyl Alcohol.
These ingredients provide cooling effects when applied onto the skin. Menthol is the cooling ingredient used in the Bonacure Clean Balance shampoo, which provides a cooling effect and increases blood circulation.
This is a type of organic compound that typically has acidic properties. They tend to naturally occur in lemons, oranges, limes and other citrus fruits. In the new Bonacure formulas we have Citric Acid and Lactic Acid, which both act as pH adjusters.
Preservatives are compounds that are added to a formula to protect it. Specifically, they prevent the development of microorganisms and help preserve the formula for a longer period of time, ensuring durability. In the Bonacure formulas you can find Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate and Methyl Benzoate as preservatives.
Active agents with skincare effects are all those substances which help to preserve the skin in its natural condition and to improve the skin condition, as well as to protect the skin. In the new Bonacure formulas you can find Bisabolol (ingredient of Chamomile) and Allantoin (hair conditioning agent) as skincare actives which help to provide a soothing effect and are sensitive as well, as they are anti-irritation ingredients.
A mineral is an element or chemical compound that is normally crystalline. In the new Bonacure products you can find Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Hydroxide and Magnesium Citrate that stabilise the pH values of our formulas. Sodium Chloride is also present, which is known as salt, and adjusts the viscosity of formulas, acting as a thickener.
Plant extracts are defined as concentrated preparations of liquid, solid or viscous consistency, obtained by maceration or percolation. Bonacure Clean Balance Anti-Pollution Water contains Moringa Officinalis Seed Extract, which acts as an anti-pollution ingredient.
These are a large class of inorganic compounds with the ability to react with or neutralise acids to form salts. Some new Bonacure formulas contain Sodium Hydroxyde, which is an inorganic base that acts as a pH adjuster.
QUATERNARY AMMONIUM COMPOUND (QUAT)
QUATs are cationic surfactants (positively charged surface-active agents) that increase the smoothness and combability of the hair. In the new Bonacure formulas you can find three different QUATs: Cetrimonium Methosulfate, Behentrimonium Chloride and Cetrimonium Chloride (a conditioning agent that also provides anti-static effect).
Buffering agents are used in cosmetics and haircare products to adjust and stabilise the pH level of these formulas. The buffering agent found in the new Bonacure formulas is Sodium Lactate.
In haircare, gum is a thickening and stabilising agent. You can find Hydroxyethylcellulose in our Volume Boost Jelly Conditioner.
An inorganic ion found in nature, with the ability to serve as a surfactant and emulsifier. Hydroxypropyl Starch Phosphate is used in Bonacure formulas as a viscosity controlling ingredient.
Bulking agents are used in cosmetics and hair care products as viscosity controlling agents. In some of the new Bonacure formulas you can find Sodium Sulfate, with the function to reduce the apparent density of the formulas.
ALL OUR FORMULAS ARE HIGHLY BIODEGRADABLE
To reduce Bonacure‘s environmental impact, we have also improved the biodegradability levels of our formulas. Our formulas are between 88%-99% biodegradable.
What does biodegradability mean?
Readily biodegradable is defined as the ability of a product to biodegrade quickly and completely within 28 days (≥ 60% by OECD 301A-F/ASTM D7373 testing).
Repair Rescue Shampoo - 93.60%
Color Freeze Shampoo - 94.20%
Color Freeze Silver Shampoo - 92.70%
Moisture Kick Shampoo - 92.80%
Volume Boost Shampoo - 92.30%
Clean Balance Shampoo - 92.80%
Time Restore Shampoo - 93.20%
Frizz Away Shampoo - 93.05%
Repair Rescue Conditioner - 94.20%
Color Freeze Conditioner - 93.50%
Moisture Kick Conditioner - 93.90%
Volume Boost Jelly Conditioner - 87.90%
Time Restore Conditioner - 93.20%
Frizz Away Conditioner - 93.74%
Repair Rescue Treatment - 94.50%
Color Freeze Treatment - 94.50%
Color Freeze Silver Treatment - 94.80%
Moisture Kick Treatment - 94.70%
Time Restore Clay Treatment - 94.70%
Frizz Away Treatment - 94.50%
Repair Rescue Spray Conditioner - 87.0%
Color Freeze Spray Conditioner - 96.10%
Moisture Kick Spray Conditioner - 91.00%
Repair Rescue Sealed Ends+ - 89.20%
Color Freeze Shine Savior - 91.00%
Moisture Kick Curl Bounce - 96.00%
Moisture Kick Hydration Balm - 97.60%
Volume Boost Perfect Foam - 98.20%
Clean Balance Anti Pollution Water - 98.20%
Frizz Away Smoothing Oil - 99.17%
Frizz Away All-Day Shield - 98.48%
Bonacure Clean Performance conditioners require 50% less water for rinsing*
The new conditioner platforms contain a new emulsifier combination, which has a higher solubility in water.
This new combination leads to a faster rinse-off behaviour in comparison to standard conditioners.
While the formulas rinse off faster, the quality is preserved, and the conditioners perform just as well.
*except the Volume Boost Jelly Conditioner
CLEAN INSIDE AND OUT
Designed to be
Made of up to
less plastic used for caps
of recycled plastic will be used for our sustainable packaging*
= 11 Southern Right Whales
of recycled plastic will be used for our in-salon products*
= 3 Large Commercial Airplanes
of recycled plastic will be used for our new spray bottles*
= 52,700 Domestic Hairdryers
*Based on 2022 full year global forecast
SUSTAINABILITY IS AT THE CORE OF WHAT WE DO
From packaging and formulas to our production sites. We use a holistic approach to sustainability that covers the entire value chain. Because we care for our planet, we choose to move forward and change for the better.
By 2030, all Bonacure production plants aim to use 100%green energy. By 2030, we strive to source 100% of the electricity we purchase for production from renewable sources, and plan to replace the fuels we need to generate thermal energy at our sites with CO2-free alternatives, such as biogas or biomass, and become climate-positive in our own operations.
Currently, the biggest Bonacure production plant is already:
- Sourcing 100% green energy from renewable sources
- Using steam-based cleaning processes instead of water-based
QUICK AND EASY WAYS TO MAKE YOUR SALON MORE SUSTAINABLE
Discover how changing small habits day-to-day and implementing simple changes can cause a big positive impact on your salon footprint, and lead to a more sustainable way of working!
- Get water-saving showerheads or low-flow taps to reduce water flow.
- Turn off the tap when you are shampooing/conditioning your client's hair.
- Check your salon for leaks and dripping taps, even slow drips can quickly add up! A tap or shower that drips 60 drops per minute, wastes 21 litres, per day.
- When washing towels and gowns, make sure that your laundry machine is full and don’t run half-empty loads.
- Install LED lights in non-client-centred spaces, such as the front desk and back bar. They last 60 times longer than incandescent (traditional) light bulbs!
- Maximise natural light in your salon as much as possible.
- Install motion sensor lighting in rooms, such as in bathrooms, storage rooms and staff rooms, so the lights turn off automatically when you are not there.
- Use lukewarm to cool water instead of hot water where possible: when washing client’s hair, towels, gowns, etc. If you must wash warm, due to hygiene reasons, set the rinse cycle to cold.
- Choose a green energy supplier.
- Reduce the room temperature by 1°C. This can reduce your annual heating bill by about 10%!
- Attach a control unit/timer to each heater. This way you can control them individually and they can be turned off automatically after working hours.
- Sell or donate hair to organisations and charities.
- Long hair (e.g. cut ponytails ) can be used to create natural wigs for cancer patients, as well as hair extensions and eyelashes.
- Short hair clippings can be used to help clean up oil spills, as hair naturally absorbs oil. Hair mats are created and placed on top of the water where the oil slicks have formed to absorb the oil.
- Hair clippings can also be used as compost. Donated it to community allotments, botanic gardens or wormeries.
- Use recycling bins in your salon to separate plastic, paper and aluminum.
- Put the recycling bins in obvious places so you are more aware of them.
- Put your recycling in the right bin! Separate caps from product pack if needed.
- Partner with companies to collect your plastic and aluminum waste.
- Try and fix equipment rather than throwing it out right away! For example, when a hairdryer breaks, see if it’s just a wire that can get repaired.
- When you are replacing furniture or equipment in your salon, consider selling or donating it, rather than throwing it out.
- Avoid single-use items, such as coffee cups.
- Become more digital! Send appointments through text or email, rather than writing them down on cards.
- Place potted plants in your salon to help recycle the CO2 and oxygenate the air, keeping it fresh. It’s simple, affordable and beautiful!
- Inform your workers about your new sustainability initiatives and encourage them to also suggest tips and insights. Delegate action and create engagement!
- Tell your clients about the changes you are making and encourage these sustainability actions also outside of the salon.
- Try and go for brands who support clean beauty and place a high importance on sustainability.
- New Bonacure has sustainable:
Packaging: fully recyclable packaging made from up to 97% recycled plastic.
Formula: 100% vegan formulas with a high level of biodegradability.
Production: Bonacure’s biggest production plant is climate neutral. Bonacure’s biggest production plant sources 100% green energy from renewable resources.
SUSTAINABLE SALON PRACTICES
Inspiring to raise your game.
Combine precise technical knowledge with creative freedom. We believe that continual education builds highly-motivated salon teams, strengthens client loyalty and ultimately increases salon profitability.
It's easy being green with the right support and products!
Backed-up by a global community of salon insiders, this course will help you to make the right choices when it comes to being more sustainable in the salon. From best practices and impactful guidance, to bullet-proof product knowledge and ‘clean’ Bonacure services, we will equip you with everything you need to up-skill your sustainable business practices without compromise!
SUSTAINABLE SALON TOOLS
We believe that high quality tools are a crucial part of the revolution for a more sustainable and environmentally friendly future.
The new Bonacure in-salon tools are all made from sustainable and recycled materials. Think of spatulas, trolley toppers, service trays and tray mats. We also offer salons organic cotton towels with a GOTS certificate.
All the Bonacure tools are packed in a FSC certified recyclable packaging. The FSC system allows consumers to identify, purchase and use wood, paper and other products from well-managed forests, and/or recycled materials.
BONACURE & SHAPING FUTURES
Since 2010, Schwarzkopf has had an impact on society beyond the planet through the global social initiative Shaping Futures, training socially disadvantaged young adults in the craft of hairdressing.
Shaping Futures is dedicated to a world where young adults can face their future optimistically and with confidence, knowing that they have the skills to actively contribute to society and shape their lives independent of any external restraints.
The ultimate success is seeing our former students succeed in opening their own salons. To put students off on a good start, Bonacure is sponsoring starter kits for all Shaping Futures students, making sure they not only have the skills, but also the tools and products to work independently and to pursue their own hairdressing careers.
SHAPING A BRIGHTER FUTURE TOGETHER.