Skip to Content

Back to basics.

Female with middle parting in hair

Understanding the hair growth cycle will help you to identify the potential issues that can occur within the scalp and hair at different stages.

As the line between haircare and skincare continues to blur, scalp care is becoming an important factor in beauty care, both in the salon and at home. Just like skin, each scalp has different needs that require an individualised approach in order to be treated effectively. From hair loss to dandruff/itching or thinning hair it's imperative that hairdressers are equipped with expert knowledge and products to help solve specific concerns for their clients – this includes the hair growth cycle.

Scalp Clinix product application
Scalp Clinix products

Healthy hair starts at the scalp

We understand that healthy hair grows from a healthy scalp, where the blood vessels are responsible for providing optimal nutrition to the roots of the hair, supporting the growth phase and preserving the hair's health.

Specialist technologies such as Biotic Technology (found in all Scalp Clinix products), combined with gentle massage, can help to promote the scalp's blood micro-circulation – whilst also strengthening the hair follicle. Skincare-inspired ingredients such Carnitine Tartrate – when blended with Taurine and Echinacea Purpurea Extract (found within our Scalp Clinix Anti-Hair Loss regime) – support the hair follicle with energy to help it stay more active during the growth phase.

With this in mind, it’s important to understand the hair growth cycle, along with our Trichology Expert, Will Fleeson (@wilfleeson) who is a renowned trichologist (trichology is the science of hair and scalp) and founder of Trichology Scotland (@trichology_scotland).




You need to accept cookies to play this video

"Within our scalp we have approximately 100,000 hair follicles, however each one is an independent organism – meaning they do not communicate or interact with each other. For the most part, 90% (90,000) of our hair follicles are in the Anagen phase, and the remaining 10% (10,000) are moving through the Catagen and Telogen phase."

– Trichology Expert, Will Fleeson
Will Fleeson


Anagen, Catagen and Teolgen phases

Anagen (Growing) – the cells within the root are active and new hair is formed. As long as the papilla remains in good condition this process will remain active for 1-7 years, with an average growth rate of 1cm per month.

Anagen, Catagen and Teolgen phases

Catagen (Resting) – a period of transition that takes place over the course of 2-3 weeks. Growth stops and the hair root becomes detached from the papilla.

Anagen, Catagen and Teolgen phases

Telogen (Shedding) – the resting phase that continues for a period of 3-4 months. During this period the papilla rests and without a supply of nutrients, the existing hair root shrinks, leaving space for new hair growth within the follicle.

Anagen, Catagen and Teolgen phases

At the end of this process the papilla reactivates, and a new hair starts to grow, pushing the old hair out of the follicle – the process of shedding hair is inevitably sped up by day-to-day washing, brushing and drying where 75 to 150 per day will be shed, this is completely normal.

ASK Education pillars

Where can I learn more?

In order to address every client need effectively you need the knowledge, practical experience and confidence to become an expert in hair and scalp evaluation! Explore our world-class seminar offering and learn how to take your clients on a truly customised, in-salon care journey.