Understand the common causes for hair damage and how to repair and treat damaged hair!
Hair damage can be caused by a variety of factors; from environmental elements, hair styling or chemical services to heat damage and health-based influences – with such a range of possible hair aggressors, a professional hair consultation is always recommended to diagnose and treat! Especially before a colour or lightening service.
Hair damage can impact the different parts of hair, the cuticle, the cortex, and sometimes the medulla. Haircare products are usually designed to target a specific problem and because of this they will vary in intensity; a mild dose of dandruff is likely to be treatable at home, whereas chemically damaged hair will require expert advice and a professional treatment.
Hair damage occurs when the structure is weakened by various factors which often sets off a domino effect with noticeable results that look and feel like unhealthy hair. This type of damage has three different root causes:
- Environmental hair damage
- Physical hair damage
- Chemical hair damage
Caused by external aggressors e.g. pollution, sun exposure and temperature variations. In the case of pollution, tiny particles adhere to the hair's surface; they damage the cuticles and make the hair dull and unmanageable, leaving hair feeling rough and prone to tangles.
Heat from sunlight can also dry out hair and make it susceptible to damage. These factors can all contribute to the breakdown of chemical bonds within hair structure.
Every wash, every stroke with a comb and every styling product adds a damaging force onto the hair. Whilst this effect is small, longer hair lengths in particular have been washed, combed and styled numerous times.
Frizz and breakage can occur even on hair that has not been chemically treated. These methods can rub against the hair cuticles causing them to flake and tear; wet hair is particularly susceptible as the cuticles are swollen, potentially exposing the inner cortex. Extensive brushing can also lead to traction alopecia.
Caused by hair colouring, bleaching/lightening, perming and straightening treatments which are designed to penetrate the outer protective cuticle, affecting the inner cortex directly. Perming chemicals break down disulphide bonds, which hold together the polypeptide chains of keratin.
Overexposure to chemical influences can cause severe hair damage e.g. irregular cuticle edges and cracks in the inner hair structure, resulting in a stiff and sensitive hair fibre that's prone to breakage. This type of hair damage needs intense restorative care to restructure the hair fibre.
An in-salon Fibre Clinix Tribond Service customised for damaged and over-processed hair, with Fibre Clinix Fortify. Fibre Clinix has been specifically developed to instantly transform hair back to its virgin condition*, thanks to a combination of:
- Triple Bonding Technology, which reconnects the inner hair structure for improved resilience and strength
- C21 Technology which reconstructs the hair’s surface for improved manageability and shine.
By customising an in-salon Fibre Clinix Tribond Treatment with Fibre Clinix Fortify Booster – a concentrated booster formulated with Niacinamide to strengthen and nourish damaged hair – clients can experience increased suppleness and shine with up to 90% less breakage** and up to 90% hair revitalisation**
*Biophysical combing tests of the regimen of medium bleached hair vs. virgin hair
**When used as a regimen with the Tribond Shampoo and Fine or Coarse Hair Tribond Treatments
Heat is one of the more common influences to damage the hair, causing in some cases, irreparable damage. However, something that is not always considered is how an individual’s health can impact the hair:
Poor hair can be an indicator of an underlying health problem, or a poor diet. In addition, drugs and medication can have a direct influence on the hair’s overall condition. Chemotherapy introduces toxins which disrupt hair renewal, in contrast pregnant women, or women taking the contraceptive pill, often have very healthy hair as oestrogen plays an important role in the growth and health of hair.
Using a curling iron, straighteners, blow-dryer or dryer hood can all cause heat styling damage. Heat breaks down the temporary bonds, which hold together the polypeptide chains within the hair.
Over-exposure to heat can irreparably damage the structure of hair and may also damage the scalp, leading to hair loss.
The best solution is prevention, in most cases! When it comes to health, assessing things like diet and exercise can help to make informed decisions, leading to an overall healthier lifestyle – the benefits that come with it will not only positivity impact hair health, but overall wellbeing!
When it comes to heat styling damage, using a heat protectant product – every time will add a barrier between the hair and styling tool, offering protection – as well as sealing in moisture and keeping frizz at bay. Heat protection products also work to seal over the cuticle, helping hair to look smooth and feel soft.
We have a range of professional haircare and styling products that offer heat protection – here are some of our favourites:
- Fibre Clinix Vibrancy Heat Protection Mist – a haircare product that instantly adds shine to coloured hair while protecting it during heat styling. The formula with AHA enhances colour vibrancy and helps to lock in the colour for up to 90% pigment retention.
- Bonacure Frizz Away All-Day Shield – a haircare product specially formulated to smooth the hair's surface. This taming spray provides frizz control for up to 72 hours, protects against the effects of humidity for up to 48 hours and delivers heat protection up to 210°C/410°F.
- Bonacure Repair Rescue Sealed Ends+ – an intensive, creamy sealed ends serum with blow-dry heat protection. It nourishes porous hair to create shine, reduce breakage and prevent split ends.
- SESSION LABEL THE MIRACLE – a multitasking styling balm that primes, defines and controls without overburdening, with up to 230°C/450°F heat protection.
- SESSION LABEL THE DEFINER – a curl cream that shapes, controls and defines curls without frizziness or a crunchy feel, with up to 230°C/450°F heat protection.